New Beginnings

When it comes to career opportunities, January has often been a month of exciting transitions for me.  In I995, I returned in January to my alma mater to work in the Reference Department at Simpson Library, and later in 2003, again in January, accepted a new position in Special Collections & University Archives. For almost two decades, I’ve had the privilege to work with students, faculty and colleagues on many interesting projects that showcase and make accessible the Library’s unique collections. Much of that work I have shared here with you in our Departmental blog.

As January of this year approached so did a new opportunity—the position of Interim University Librarian. With the recent retirement of former director, Rosemary Arneson, came the offer to lead the Library and its staff in our mission to provide excellent service and resources to the UMW community. Angie Kemp, who many of you know from her postings here and work on digital projects, has been appointed the new Interim Head of Special Collections & University Archives. You will hear more from Angie, as she takes on the leadership of the Department.

I am grateful for the time I spent in Special Collections & University Archives and look back with pride at how much the Department has grown and evolved, providing more access, instruction, mentoring, outreach, preservation, and services.

Select highlights include:

Expansion of our digital presence from a single collection of photographs created during the 2008 Centennial Celebration

Logo for Archives@UMWto our current digital presence which spans content across three repositories:

Graphic oof digital collections page Initiating the Special Collections & University Archives Internship program:

Lauren Holt photographing collections

Intern Lauren Holt photographing collections, Spring 2013

Numerous exhibitions and preservation projects:

James Farmer Exhibit

James Farmer: In His Own Words, 1920-1999 Exhibit, 2020

Teaching the Historic Preservation Department’s Archives & Society class and collaborating  with faculty to engage students across the curriculum with our unique collections:

students in the archives class pose on steps at the Library of Virginia

HISP303 Archives & Society class field trip to the Library of Virginia, 2006

And best of all working with wonderful students, faculty, researchers, and colleagues!!!

Special Collections Team

Last year’s awesome Special Collections & University Archives team

As I embark on my new position, I look forward to still working with Special Collections & University Archives and fostering its continued development—partnering in this new chapter together!

January 31, 2022