The fall semester is just around the corner and Special Collections & University Archives staff have been busy working on plans to safely welcome you back to the Digital Archiving Lab (DAL). While these plans are subject to change in accordance with campus policies, you can always stay up-to-date on our operating status by visiting our departmental webpage, or simply reach out to us via email or phone (540-654-1756). Although appointments and consultations will look different this year, staff are still available to help you with your projects through a variety of methods.
The DAL will continue to offer a variety of hardware and software to help you complete digitization projects. Available equipment includes two flatbed scanners for the high-resolution digitization of documents, prints, and film, as well as an overhead rare book scanner for fragile, bound materials. The full Adobe Creative Cloud suite is available on multiple computers (Mac and Windows) in the DAL, providing access to software like Photoshop, Acrobat DC, and Premiere Pro.
In an effort to provide as safe a workspace as possible, we have implemented several new procedures for using the DAL this year:
- Beginning August 24th, the DAL will be open to UMW faculty, staff, and students by appointment only. Drop-in open hours will not be available this fall.
- Adherence to UMW’s COVID-19 Face Coverings/Masks Policy is required.
- Only one person may be in the DAL at a time, unless assistance from library staff is needed.
- Before your first appointment, completion of a brief orientation is required.
- When possible, staff will provide training on software and equipment virtually. If needed, in-person training will be provided at a safe social distance in the DAL.
- There will be disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer available in the lab at all times.
- A key is still required for access to the lab. The key will be sanitized each time it is returned to the Circulation desk in Simpson Library.
Orientation and/or training videos will be provided as needed once an appointment is scheduled. You can book your appointment with the Digital Resources Librarian online, or by sending an email. As always, please let us know if you have any questions!